"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt Disney

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Happy Endings...

I'm a sucker for a happy ending. Some people might say that makes me a sap, or call me unrealistic. Perhaps I'm just an optimist? Life can be depressing enough, I want my entertainment to be guaranteed to end on a high note.

Hollywood films link happy endings with the world of fairytales, which are often about the achievement of perfection. After all, how many stories have you heard end in "and they lived happily ever after"? Fairy tales bring shattered families back into balance, back to completion.
Weddings are a popular way to end stories. Marriage is a new beginning, the end of an old life of being single and the beginning of a new life as part of a unit. New beginnings are perfect and unspoiled in their "ideal" form.

Don't get me wrong. I don't expect the guy to always get the girl. There are many forms of happy endings. Striking up a new relationship is another way to show a new beginning at the end of a story. It doesn't need to be a romance.
In Casablanca, Humphrey Bogart makes a difficult sacrifice, giving up the chance to be with the woman he loves. His reward, and the "happy ending" is his experience, his new alliance with Claude Rains, As he says, in one of the most famous tag lines in the history of movies, "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
He didn't get the girl, but it's still a happy ending. He's discovered the truth about his past, the woman he loves, and the kind of person he wants to be now. A happy ending is the result of ANY gained knowledge or abilities, fairytale or "reality".

What are some of your favorite "Happy Endings"?

9 comments:

Sayantini said...

I am totally like you in this matter. I love happy endings too. There are a lot of films and books that I don't like to re-watch or re-read only because they have a sad ending. Nice post :)

Udita Banerjee said...

I completely agree! Who wants to step into a world of others for a couple of hours and come out feeling despondent!
http://effervescencia.blogspot.in/2014/04/h-is-for-humour.html

The Daily Bern said...

Chasing Amy by Kevin Smith has a great happy ending that perfectly wrapped up the story, stayed un-sappy, and left hope for the characters future. I have to admit, while I don't hate a curveball now and then, but I'm a sap for a happy ending too.
Shawn from Laughing at Life 2

Natalie Zaman said...

I am currently craving a happy ending--but am reading A Clash of Kings so won't hold my breath ;)

shelly said...

Happy endings are nice....

Haddock said...

Most of these happy endings can be seen in Hindi movies.
Hollywood movies are more story oriented I must say.

Nicole said...

I do love happy endings! And Casablanca is an excellent example of a twist on that.

Unknown said...

Casablanca is a great example of an unconventional "happy ending". Such a great movie!

http://www.thingsmymothertaught.com

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

The ending to Emma Thompson's screenplay (movie) Sense and Sensibility. Loved it!